Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spicy Salmon Cakes


Spicy Salmon Cakes


Whenever my friends and I get together, I hear this...

Are you making those fish cakes???

And YES, I make them every time... 
I mean, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't??? 
I've been making these since high school and I haven't gotten tired of them yet!!!

It's so simple to make and I even came up with a quick little sauce to make
them Ooooooo & Aahhhhhhh... 

Anyone can do this!!!


This is it... All the ingredients you need.. 
See?? 
I told you it was simple!!!


SALMON CAKE RECIPE

2 Cans of Salmon (drained)
2 Cups of Chipotle Panko 
3 Eggs
2 Tbsp of Old Bay
1 Green Pepper (diced into small cubes)
4 Large Cloves of Garlic (grated)
4 Green Onions (chopped)
Black Pepper to Taste
Red Pepper Flakes to Taste




Ok, Time to get messy!!! 

Mix all of your ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Put that spoon down!! 
Use your hands!! 
You really want to work this together so don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!


Form the mixture into small patties. 

If it's too dry, add an egg. 
If it's too wet, add some more Panko.

Just make sure it sticks together and isn't falling apart...


In a shallow frying pan, add enough vegetable oil to fry these babies up!
You want to have enough oil to cover the bottom half of the patties when frying.

Heat the oil to medium heat.

Too hot, and it wont cook through.
Too cool, and it will just be an oily mess...


When the bottoms are golden brown, flip them.
Be careful not to burn yourself!!!


Place the cakes on a few sheets of paper towels to drain off the excess oil.

At this point, it's a struggle to resist the urge to eat them all 
before they hit the serving platter!!! 

Fight it!!! Be Strong!!!


While you fry up the rest of your salmon cakes, 
here's something to distract you from sneaking tastes!

Time to make the sauce...


SPICY TATAR SAUCE RECIPE

1 Jar of Tatar Sauce
Spoonful of Hot Pepper Sauce
3 Green Onions (chopped)


Ok, Now I know I just scared you!! 
What is that?? 
Well it's pretty much my mom's homemade hot pepper sauce.
She grinds up habanero peppers, garlic and vinegar and we eat it with everything!!!
It's a Caribbean thing... We keep jars of it on hand!!!

And I tend to over-do it in my sauce, but that's how I like it!
Hot! Hot! Hot!


You can buy different versions of this in the international section of your grocery store, 
or just use your hot sauce of choice.

Or, If you're not into the spicy business,
skip it all together and just use plain tartar sauce.


Mix it up and set aside. 

I'll admit .... at this point, 
I've already eaten 3 or 4 salmon cakes...

I couldn't help myself!!!


Put what's left of it on a pretty platter and serve!


ENJOY!!!



4 comments: